What Should I Do if I am Hurt by a Government Employee?

In a car crash with a police officer? What about a Postal Service worker or an FBI Agent? Can you sue the government? Yes you can, but filing a claim against a government employee can be tricky. There are strict deadlines for filing claims. The Tort Claims Act controls what your deadlines are and outline how you must make a claim. If you do not follow the rules precisely, your claim can be barred. Making a claim against a federal government employee is also different than a state employee.

Another significant difference is the amount of fault allowed. If you were to get into a crash with your average citizen and they were 50.1% at fault you can still recover for your injuries. Now the amount you recover may be reduced by the amount of fault you share for causing the crash, but you can still get money. On the other hand, if you are involved in a crash with government employee you cannot have contributed to the crash. If a jury finds that you are even 1% at fault for causing your injuries you are barred from recovery. This doctrine is called contributory negligence and can make suing the government very difficult.

There is hope however. Suing the government is not impossible. You need to find a lawyer who has experience in filing claims and suit against the government. I have successfully helped lots of people in making claims against the government and helping them get the money they deserve after being injured by a government employee’s negligence.

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email